to the max

Saturday, November 06, 2004


max
Originally uploaded by nardac.
I did it! I got Max Mirnyi's autograph!

Yah, he's winning. First he knocked off Roddick, then he pulls out a fantastic come from behind victory against young swede Soderling. I happened to be there, live to see him completely stun Roddick into submission, with delicious serve and volley, thundering service, and terrific shot making.

After Soderling, the 6th singles game he's played in the tournament, sending him to the semi-finals, Max looked a little tired. Keep the fingers crossed and I hope he gets enough sleep tonight. If he can get through Stepanek quickly, he'll have a chance to thrash Marat Safin, who he has beaten in the past.

For those who don't know, and I was one till recently, Max is a terrific tennis player from Belarusse. He has all the weapons necessary, super service, great serve and volley, power, grace, good shot making. I only wonder why he hasn't won more singles.

He's more visible in the doubles field, having won the U.S. Open with Lleyton Hewitt and his other partner (who I can't remember unfortunately). He's also been the doubles partner of Marat Safin, and sometimes pairs up with Roger Federer.

Anyways, he's a gentle giant and I hope he thrashes the hell out of Stepanek, his next opponent. GO MAX GO!

P.S. - Google Image this guy for a chance to see what I'm gooshing over. Or just check out his website.