football, quick, and the joys of being common, a.k.a, am I a neo-Kieerkergaardian?

Friday, June 25, 2004

I think that, in my life, after years of careful consideration, I might have stumbled across a singular truth, a personal truth, a knight of honour piercing into the darkness. and that is, after years of thinking I might have been special, or talented, perhaps in possession of some over-average intelligence or sensitivity, perhaps, I've been wrong. Maybe, despite all my best intentions and fording up the walls of personality, I am common. you might think this strange, or perhaps you also think that you're a genius secreted away on your own private island, but I've never considered, outside of the few vague early moments of my life when I had difficulty separating myself from the shadow image of me that I get to dissect, that I was anything less than quite over-intelligent, gifted in many senses, and destined for something special (involving lots of backstage blow-drys.) I really don't think I'm alone in this.

If I walk around thinking that my life is like a film, freeze frames, special moments, zooms, closeups, slo-mos, and that the drama and passion enacted within will one day have a slightly satisfying, if anti-climactic ending, I'm sure that most of us have all thought this to a certain extent. The great popularity of realitytv only supports my bastard psychological theory. However, in all of this, with too many stars, and the need, in a narrative, to centre on one personality, am I fooling myself? Is there anything right or wrong about championing this kind of narcissism? Should I be happy in being common?

In this sense, I'd like to distinguish what people mean by common. For me, I cannot stand the new left, I eat tons of red meat, quick, watch and scream about football, like to go shopping when there's a sale, talk about current affairs, and...wait...I'm bored...I'll come back to this in a moment...

but before I leave...I'd like to specify that because I like to do common things, is not the end of my confession...it's just that I'd like to say that I think that maybe my pseudo-witticisms cover up a very broad, general, and not at all perspicacious insight...like most bloggers I guess. I'm common...I have nothing new to contribute...I just say it better than you. My tastes are status quo, my thoughts are status quo...so there's no sympathy for me I guess.