listening to easy music

Thursday, June 03, 2004

I started downloading tons of music this year, largely due to having unlimited free fast internet access for my laptop. At first I was astonished that people could amass mp3 collections of multiple gigs. bollocks. the first two gigs are like licking a popsicle. My current collection, after massive editing (which takes up nice afternoons where people who call me to go outside are rejected by my protestations of needing to finish work), is around 12 gigs. This doesn't really surprise me though, since I use to be a $1 record hoarder, and internet access like this is like throwing a garbage bag of coke at my head.

Another obvious fact is that one's mp3 collection can produce some interesting results at parties. Why, just the other day, at my french contemporary art school, we were sitting around, listening to a classy CD of bossa nova, when suddenly I hijacked all that easy listening with a little Toxic Britney. I don't know what came over me in that moment, but, as sometimes it just sucks when people are snooting about trying to say important things about art. Funny enough, contemporary artists really love to wiggle to Toxic, and all that cool Beaujolais attitude evaporated into bad Martha Grahams (that's how bad most artists dance). so funny. Felt like I batted for the evil dead but, oh whatever.

blah blah blah...and if you're looking for someone to get self-righteous about buying cds and paying musicians...hell, don't look at me. Just the other fucking day, I bought a CD...Sebastian Tellier...of course he's really obscure and kind of hard to find to download, but, even so, I'd already paid 15 Eu to go see him play, and he only played for 20 minutes. It's just that, he's just too good to pass up. I don't want to have a rationale, nor a philosophy for that of this, or too many other things. I just try to go for the gold with my gut and the Tellier is the last of the french genii.

strange trend these days on obscure indie bands swarming around with post-folk anti-pop hybrids on everything...very exciting times we're living in! new hype on tv on the radio totally deserved, but, i put ambulance on mixed tape where it was followed by syd, and nothing chalks above against the octopus. but..noticed that would not know about said obscure bands without the help of friends and, friends (ie. glossy cool mags telling what new lovelies to goober over). thanks to all my 4 eu inrocks and 6 eu sleaze and 9 eu ids I can tell that the press machine is working overtime on a band called lali puna. mercy buckets y'all. on another note, big hype in france on Leslie Feist, fellow canadienne. Mushaboom is like new version of enya for Y generation, and the fact that she hates singers that might show up in star academy or french idol only highlights how boring new left is. sorry for the slag but that's my smoke.