a death in the house

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I just did a very very bad thing... shit. I think I killed Dacnar's computer, by mistake. We work, side by side, on our computers, and since there aren't enough outlets, I usually have to switch plugs around when I want to use by external hard disk, or printer, or scanner. Unfortunately, the glowing red button that turns the bar on and off happens to placed very conveniently. If you need to pull a plug out, or stick it back in, there's no clean way to get a grip on this power bar except by putting your thumb over this button.

So, I was plugging my computer back in when I switched off the power bar. His computer went dead. I turned the power back on. No serious damage done to any of my equipment. But his computer, a fairly souped up old PC, started making odd beep beep sounds. You know the way those towers are supposed to sound: a little clicking and then the whirring begins. Nope... just beep beep. So he turns it off. Then, second time trying, only the fan kicks in.

He has no backup for some of the writing that's on this computer. He's supposed to be shooting a film next month. He thinks the motherboard is fried. I don't even know how much it costs to replace a motherboard. I'm sick to my stomach right now. Oh my GOD! What can I do???