friendship

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Last night I was with Kim and we were talking about friendship. I don’t think I need people but, if that were really true, I wouldn’t feel so disappointed when they move off to Barcelona without a heads up. True, Voin is a kind of European gypsy but none of us expected his New Year’s vagabonding to extend to a permanent retreat.

Kim, however, didn’t seem to care. She said:

-I can’t be disappointed because I don’t really care. If someone wants to see me, they can phone me up... Well, it’s just that I don’t need anyone. I don’t need to be with anyone and I get bored so easily.

This is rather a shocking thing to hear from someone you’re feel quite close to, who you are spending an entire evening with…just joking around, gossiping, sharing a wine bottle, telling old stories and then playing online word games for three hours straight. I mean, I think I understand her quite well. And, in understanding her, I take liberties with her text and make my own interpretation.

She doesn’t think friendship is an obligation. Friendship is just for pleasure. It’s not an obligation and one doesn’t need to maintain bonds when one feels the relationship not longer has worth; friendship is the voluntary choice by two people to share something.

It’s kind of beautiful and light when I think about it… especially when I’m alone.